Hansi Flick used his pre-match press conference ahead of Barcelona's delayed La Liga opener to wave away the transfer saga that has followed his squad through the summer, declining once again to be drawn on Julian Alvarez.
Asked directly about the Atletico Madrid striker long linked with a move to Camp Nou, Flick was blunt: "I don't talk about players from other teams," he said, repeating a line he has used in previous appearances before the media this pre-season.
Instead of engaging with the Alvarez speculation, the German coach turned his praise toward sporting director Deco, crediting him for the work done in the transfer market this summer. "Deco and I know what we want. They have done a fantastic job," Flick said, according to ONE.
That work has already delivered one of the biggest deals of the European summer: Barcelona's signing of Rodri from Manchester City, confirmed on August 18. The Spain midfielder and reigning World Cup Golden Ball winner turned down interest from Real Madrid to join the champions on a four-year contract in a deal reported at around €60 million plus add-ons.
On the unresolved number 9 question, Flick pointed to an option already in his squad rather than a marquee arrival. He singled out 18-year-old Egyptian forward Hamza Abdelkarim, signed from Al Ahly, who has been Barcelona's leading scorer in pre-season with four goals in six friendlies, including a brace on his debut.
Flick has previously described Abdelkarim as someone who shows "great potential" and does "what I ask of a number nine," and he confirmed the teenager will be part of the squad that travels to face Elche.
The manager also touched on Alejandro Balde's situation, stressing that any player in his squad needs to be fully committed and ready to compete at the highest level, leaving the full-back's immediate future at the club somewhat open. Joao Cancelo, meanwhile, was confirmed as available and in contention to feature after an influential campaign last season.
The Elche fixture, scheduled for Sunday night at the Martinez Valero, will actually be Barcelona's first competitive league match of the season. Their original Matchday 1 assignment against Athletic Club was moved to August 27, meaning the trip to Elche doubles as the champions' effective league bow.
For Flick, the message before that kickoff was one of calm rather than urgency over the transfer market: backing the players already at his disposal, and trusting Deco to handle whatever comes next before the window closes.


