Crystal Palace's new manager Pierre Sage used his final press conference before Saturday's season opener against Everton to close down talk of a Real Madrid move for Adam Wharton — while making sure the room also heard about the club's record-breaking Israeli recruit.
"I think now is not the moment to do that," Sage said of a possible sale, according to ONE. "I think he is able to play in another club, in a big club, here or everywhere in Europe. But I think one year with us, with a new dynamic, will be good for him, and we need him. That's why I think he will stay with us."
Wharton, 22, has been strongly linked with Real Madrid this summer, with Manchester City and Liverpool also credited with interest in the England midfielder. His stock has never been higher: he made 34 Premier League appearances last season and was named man of the match as Palace won the UEFA Conference League final, a run that has pushed his estimated market value beyond £80 million.
Sage, appointed in June to replace Oliver Glasner, stopped short of ruling out a future exit, hinting the situation would be reassessed next summer. For now, though, he was unambiguous that Palace have no intention of selling a player under contract until 2029 with the new Premier League season about to begin.
The same press conference doubled as an update on Palace's transfer business, and here the club's Israeli contingent took centre stage. Sage confirmed the signing of Anan Khalaili, the Israel international who completed a £21 million move from Belgian side Union Saint-Gilloise earlier this month.
The deal makes the 21-year-old the most expensive Israeli player in history, eclipsing every previous transfer involving an Israeli footballer. Khalaili, comfortable at both full-back and on the wing, has signed a contract at Selhurst Park running to 2031.
His arrival in south London came only after a proposed switch to Inter Milan collapsed. Khalaili had agreed personal terms and passed a medical with the Serie A club, but the transfer fell through when he failed to clear a medical examination required by the Italian Olympic Committee, opening the door for Palace to move in.
Sage described Khalaili as part of a squad rebuild that has already brought six new arrivals through the door this summer, and said he expects one or two further additions before the transfer window closes.
For Wharton, the message from his manager is clear: stay, help Palace defend their European trophy and push the club forward, with a bigger move to be revisited only once this season is done. For Khalaili, the challenge now is breaking into a Premier League squad that starts its title defence of the Conference League and its top-flight campaign in the same week.



