Diego Simeone has stepped squarely in front of Julián Álvarez, telling reporters the unsettled Argentine striker is back in his Atlético Madrid squad and will be involved when Villarreal visit the Riyadh Air Metropolitano on Sunday, ONE reports.

"He is in the squad, he is at his pace," Simeone said, ending days of speculation over whether Álvarez would even be considered while his future at the club remains unresolved.

The 26-year-old sat out Atlético's opening 2-0 win over Málaga last week, a game that coincided with a public falling-out between the striker and sections of the home support. Fans unfurled banners reading "Julián Out" and displayed his No. 19 crossed through at the club's training ground, according to beIN Sports, after Álvarez was targeted by insulting chants during the Málaga match at the Metropolitano.

The anger stems from Álvarez's own admission over the summer that he wants to leave for Barcelona, who identified him as their preferred replacement for Robert Lewandowski. Atlético have so far refused to sanction a sale, and Simeone has repeatedly said the club's position is unchanged.

"He is very important, we need him, we will take care of him professionally and he is our player," the coach said, according to ONE, making clear he intends to keep leaning on Álvarez regardless of the noise around him.

Simeone was equally direct on the striker's conduct behind closed doors: "Julián trains in the best way, with respect toward his teammates." It was a pointed rebuttal to any suggestion the forward has been sulking or disruptive since requesting a move.

Asked about the fans turning on one of his players, Simeone said he understood their frustration but drew a line: "I respect the fans absolutely, but I won't accept curses or insults." He struck a similar note when pressed on the wider unrest, telling reporters he respects the Atlético support even as he shields Álvarez from it.

The coach also framed the episode within his broader team philosophy. "Our strength is the team. We don't rely on individual players, but on collective power and the 120% the team can give," he said — a message aimed as much at calming the dressing room as answering questions about one man.

Atlético go into Sunday's game, kicking off at 18:00 Israel time and broadcast live on ONE, looking to build on their opening-day win. Villarreal drew 2-2 with Racing Santander in their own season opener and arrive without the injured Juan Foyth, while Atlético loanee Alexander Sørloth is unavailable to face his parent club.

Whether Álvarez actually starts remains to be seen, but Simeone's message this week has been unambiguous: as long as the striker is at the club, he plays and trains as first-choice, transfer saga or not.